This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegetarian and vegan.
I’ve grown quite fond of lentils lately. In fact, I am now searching through (and testing) every possible lentil recipe on the planet, and I will post the best ones. I made this simple lentil dal last night and was very impressed with it! Thank you One Green Planet for this recipe.
- Recipe Yields: ~4 servings
- Prep Time: ~10 minutes
- Cook Time: ~30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 c yellow lentils (I used red here)
- 1 c green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick (or a dash of ground cinnamon)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (buy from a glass jar, not a can)
- 4½ c vegetable broth (low sodium, organic)
- cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Add olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for ~2 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, sauté for another minute.
- Sift through lentils, removing any debris. Then rinse lentils, drain water and add to pot.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, turmeric, cumin, tomato paste and broth. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick, garnish with cilantro and serve warm. Enjoy!