You know the feeling. The mildly sore throat that quickly takes a turn for the worst and leaves you feeling like your swallowing knives? Or the sinus headache or flu bug that so kindly paid you a visit? Here are some natural remedies to help get you back on your feet!
Bacteria-Killing Garlic ACV Tea
Heat water on stove (or in microwave). Transfer hot water to mug, then add the following:
- The juice of 1/4-1/2 organic lemon
- 1/2 clove of raw garlic—grate it straight into the mug
- A few squirts of raw, local honey (sorry, I’m not a huge fan of measuring so these are all approximate)
- A little bit of organic apple cider vinegar (ACV)—probably approximately 2 Tablespoons
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
Raw garlic is an excellent natural antibiotic. It’s actually INCREDIBLY strong as well. The combination of ingredients doesn’t sound so appetizing but honestly…it wasn’t that bad. And heck, when you get to the point where you will try anything to feel better, it’s really quite delicious! The garlic and honey cut the ACV so it’s not as pungent. Just make sure you brush your teeth before you go kissing anybody. Not that you’re kissing people with strep throat. At least I hope you’re not. Drink this as often as you can stomach it. Works best at the onset of symptoms. I drank it every hour for about 4-5 hours during my last bout with strep.
There are several other things you can do to aid in a speedy recovery. Again, it’s recommended that you start this protocol as soon as you feel these symptoms coming on, instead of waiting until it’s the full-blown plague.
My Natural Remedies*
- Drink a lot awesome Garlic ACV Tea (recipe above)
- Apply Thieves essential oil to the bottoms of my feet several times a day, and diffused it throughout the house. Young Living brand only.
- I personally take the following supplements when I am ill:
- Colloidal Silver (natural antibiotic)
- Olive Leaf Extract and Oregano tinctures (natural antibiotics), could also use Oregano Essential Oil (Young Living brand only)
- Echinacea (immune booster)
- Magnesium (for the crazy achy leg pain I was having)
- Prenatal vitamin (always)
- Omegas (always)
- Probiotics (always)
- Black Elderberry
- Vitamin D3
- Oscillococcinum (homeopathic flu remedy)
- Take hot epsom salt baths to relieve the body aches
- Sleep a LOT. It’s a proven fact that your body needs a lot of extra rest when it is fighting an illness. These days we are so accustomed to getting antibiotics and steroids as a “quick fix”, and it’s not right.
- Drink a lot of water and take care of yourself the way you should.
It sounds like a lot of supplements but to be honest, these are things I keep in my supplement cabinet on a regular basis, so I didn’t have to go out and buy anything special. Except a LOT more garlic than we had on hand!