This recipe is: Gluten-free, dairy-free*, soy-free and vegetarian*. *Contain eggs
This vegetarian recipe can easily be altered if you would prefer to eat chicken or shrimp pad thai! Feel free to experiment based on your dietary preferences.
NotesRecipe yields: 4 servings Soak time: 1 hour – overnight Prep time: 30 minutes Additional Equipment Needed: Large wok or skillet
- One 14 oz. package rice noodles (ensure they are gluten-free)
- 1/4 c. tamarind juice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar (can substitute stevia, use 1/2 tblsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (try olive oil or grapeseed oil)
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. bean sprouts
- 1/4 c. unsalted peanuts, crushed
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime, wedged, for garnish
- In a large bowl, soak the rice noodles in cold water for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the tamarind juice, vinegar, sugar and paprika.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and egg and cook, stirring until the egg is scrambled, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve the noodles with bean sprouts on the side, peanuts sprinkled over the top and with the cilantro and lime-wedge garnishes.