This recipe is: Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegetarian and vegan.
Brown rice is a great choice if you’re looking to eat some grains, since it’s nutritional value is far superior to that of white rice. It’s also suitable for those with gluten intolerances, since rice is gluten-free. Eat this as a main dish or as a side, either way it’s delicious! Also, feel free to experiment with flavors and add-ons such as balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, etc.
- Recipe yields: 4 servings
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb. sliced button mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice
- 2 c. water or vegetable broth (low sodium)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. chopped non-sulfite dried apricots
- 1/2 c. chopped toasted walnuts (omit if you are allergic to nuts)
- 1/4 c. total chopped fresh parsley and thyme
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- In a medium sauce pot, sauté mushrooms, onions and garlic in warmed oil over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in rice, water or broth, salt & pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is completely absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Remove covered pot from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff with fork. Transfer to large bowl, add apricots, walnuts, herbs and vinegar and toss to combine.